Over the years since its meteoric rise during the late 1900s, the Internet has broken ground as a gateway to a vast world of information and content. While access to it was limited back then, it has become more approachable and integrated into our ways of living. It has changed many aspects of our lives, including how we consume entertainment and how we shop for products. It has even revolutionized how we deal with education!
There are many different ways of learning and gaining knowledge in the new age. One of these is through online course content. Thinkific is a popular name when it comes to sharing courses with everyone. Did you know that there are other online platforms that offer similar functions? In this article, we’ll take a look at our four online course competitors and see how much each holds up to Thinkific’s standards!
For those of you who prefer a more visual experience, here is a video review from Useful Website’s YouTube channel. Do check out our article below, however, because it has a comprehensive overview of Thinkific.
What is Thinkific? A Short Overview Thinkific Vs Than Schoology Vs Canvas
Before we compare Thinkific to the other four, let’s first discuss what it is, how it works and how it can help aspiring entrepreneurs like you. Thinkific, a learning management software (LMS), aims to create an engaging and optimized educational environment for both students and teachers. It has been favored among established businesses and edupreneurs, as well as the newbies. Thinkific was founded in 2010 and has been associated with many big-name companies like Samsung, Hootsuite and Intuit.
One of Thinkific’s selling points is the ability to customize flexibly from how you wish to present your courses to how much you want to charge them. The Site Builder is one of the key features. It gives you a platform with the right amount customization tools to create a webpage for your courses. Another is the course editor where you get to create your curriculum according to whatever you specialize in with a wide range of templates and lesson types to choose from. You also have the option to either share your courses for free or put up a membership fee for your subscribers to pay with this feature! Other notable parts of Thinkific are easy integrations with the built-in Thinkific App Store, easy-use student data management and interactions, and no high transaction fees!
It’s worth noting that Thinkific has a Free plan that lets you gain access to basic features, but to get the most out of the platform, it’s recommended that you try any of the paid plans, such as the Basic plan with the price as low as $39/month, the Pro plan at $79 with the option of a Growth add-on, and the Premier, which lets you have full access to everything at $399.
Thinkific vs. Teachingable
Teachable is a course creation platform that has a very similar footing to Thinkific in terms of the features they offer and the popularity they have among edupreneurs everywhere. Just like the latter, the former lets you have full control of what you wish to share in your content such as pricing and student data management. It also lets you have a platform where you can create your curriculum to your heart’s content. While the LMS services are similar in appearance, Teachable has a few unique assets that set it apart from Thinkific and other course content websites.
The Key Features
Teachable’s editing interface is easier to use than Thinkific’s. While there may be a few limits, such as the absence of integrations with Captivate and Storyline, Teachable has much more options to explore as you may import content through cloud-based data storage platforms such as Google Drive and Dropbox. Its drag-and-drop feature is noticeably more engaging than Thinkific’s version.
Teachable also lets you use their stronger, more enhanced marketing and analytics tools, including the one-step checkout page feature which has proven to have better conversion rates than Thinkific’s 2-step process. The addition of a dedicated mobile app for iOS and live chat support in high-priced plans are among Teachable’s other notable features. Thinkific Vs Than Schoology Vs Canvas
Similar to Thinkific’s, Teachable’s four pricing plans include the Free plan that beginners may want to try out risk-free. It is however, more affordable than the others.
- The Basic plan costs only $29 per month.
- The Pro plan is the recommended tier and costs $99/month.
- The Business plan costs $249 per month. You get all of the features at a much lower price compared to Thinkific’s $399/month Premier plan.
Thinkific vs. Kajabi
Kajabi is another one of the most popular online course content platforms, trusted by over 16,000 businesses and housed with more than 60 million students. It’s branded as an all-in-one platform with a vast range of tools to create and market your content to your target audience. One of its selling points is the ability to build an entire brand on one platform with a plethora of marketing and customization tools. Although Thinkific’s services are reasonably priced, Kajabi’s prices can be prohibitive for those who wish to take it up.
The Key Features
To find out why Kajabi is priced much higher, it’s important to talk about some of the main features that make this platform a premium choice. Unlike other LMS sites that require third-party integrations with marketing tools, including Thinkific, Kajabi has a whole marketing suite built into its system. Its e-mail marketing function lets you send promos to your subscribers without needing to integrate with external solutions.
Its sales funnel software is also an integral feature. You wouldn’t have to overcomplicate yourself, as Kajabi makes things easier with funnel blueprint templates optimized to rake in your target audience. On top of having a webpage and landing page editor that’s more powerful, Kajabi also has blogging features for you to utilize, truly making the platform the all-in-one course creation solution as advertised.
Unlike in both Thinkific and Teachable where the option for a Free plan is available, Kajabi only has a limited trial that lasts for 14 days. It is, however, offered in three of its paid plans.
- The Basic plan starts at $119 per month
- The most popular offer is the Growth plan, which costs $159 per month.
- The Pro plan costs $319 per month, which is slightly less than Thinkific’s.
Thinkific vs. Podia
Numerous course content platforms have claimed to be creator-friendly, yet don’t have enough features or services to satisfy them to the fullest. Thankfully, Podia does a remarkable job in keeping that promise, making it a great and convenient place for the edupreneurs, whether they’re experts or just beginners. It’s an online course creation service that, like Kajabi, offers all-in-one solutions. Not only that, but it has a vast array of tools and features, most of which are incredibly user-friendly. Podia is a great option because you get all its incredible functions for a very affordable price.
The Key Features
You can sell online courses with Podia. However, you are also allowed to digitally download and offer membership content. Though Thinkific might have something similar, it is different in that the former focuses more on e-courses and the former on other topics. The platform offers unlimited uploads as well as downloads, which is a huge advantage. Podia does not have file space and bandwidth limitations like other LMS services.
Podia strives to be creator-friendly so all features must reflect this. This includes easy-access and integrated e-mail marketing and analytics tools, a breezy course-making and page editing process, and an interactive dashboard where you and your students can interact without limits. Your courses allow students to comment. Thinkific Vs Than Schoology Vs Canvas
Apart from the recently added Free plan, Podia’s pricing range is arguably the most valuable among other course-making platforms and is also perfect for small-scale DIY creators.
- The Mover plan is $39 per Month.
- The Shaker plan is the best deal and costs $89 per month.
- The Earthquaker, another new addition, is priced at only $199/month.
Udemy vs. Thinkific
Udemy works differently to Thinkific and the other three competitors we have already mentioned. Unlike other e-course platforms, Udemy emphasizes having one of the biggest online course marketplaces, used by more than 70,000 instructors and over 50 million students worldwide. Udemy has been known as a great launching pad for beginners. Although it sounds great, you have virtually no control over the courses or students. Despite these obstacles, Udemy still allows budding creators like yourself to make a living selling their content.
The Key Features
Udemy’s most popular feature is its extensive marketplace platform. Because it has a low barrier to entry, students can easily access it whenever they need to find new things to learn. Another of its key selling points is the ability to host your content completely free! Despite its lack of customization options it makes course creation relatively simple thanks to its user-friendly interface and solid support.
Udemy allows you to create a course on any of its 100+ topics. Technology- and business-related courses are the most popular. Although the tiers are not as extensive as you might like, there are four tiers that you can choose from to charge your courses. They range from $19.99 to $34.99 to the highest.
Udemy offers unlimited course creation for free. This is a huge advantage if you’re not into purchasing any of the paid plans that other LMS platforms have. But, you must be aware of the high transaction fees that may be expected once you make a sale from the platform.
The Advantages of Thinkific vs.
Thinkific’s user-friendly interface and wide customization options are what we talked about previously. This platform is likely to make it easier for instructors to explore its many features, including its App Store library of third party integrations. You also get all access to your courses and student data management. This gives you complete control over what you do. What are other advantages that each of our competitors offers over Thinkific’s? Let’s find out very shortly! Thinkific Vs Than Schoology Vs Canvas
- It has a more user-friendly experience and range of features compared to Thinkific’s
- You can also use it for marketing, sales, analytics and payment options.
- It allows you to provide a one-on-1 coaching course to your student subscribers, in addition to being able to manage VAT taxes
- As an all-in-one e-course solution, it lets you build your brand with the aid of all the tools and services you may need to do so
- Its handy yet detailed marketing and analysis tools are already built into the platform
- It has optimized features such as dripping, pipeline building, and sales funnel tools designed to boost and improve subscriber turnout and conversion rates
- Aside from the limited Free plan, all the other paid tiers are packed with enough essential high-quality features, making the deal highly valuable for the instructors
- The migration from content from other course platforms to your content is easy.
- There are no additional fees or transactions to worry about. The interface is extremely easy to use.
- You have full and free access to all the features of the platform.
- It has a huge audience of tens to millions of students. This makes it ideal if your content needs to reach a wider audience.
- It offers a trusted teaching center, which is a benefit for beginning instructors, and a supportive community of other teachers.
The Disadvantages: Thinkific vs.
While there are many things we love about Thinkific, there are also some that we don’t like. One is that it does not offer customer support. While other LMS platforms, such as Teachable, have live chat support available, Thinkific doesn’t. However, you can use its e-mail or phone services. Although there are more integrations than the rest, Thinkific doesn’t have a mobile app that allows for quick access to its services on the move. However, this may change in the future. What other services are missing from the four other services?
- Its compliance features for course completion are weaker and less stringent than Thinkific’s.
- It has lower payment options than the other, even though edupreneurs have full control over all aspects of the business
- It’s much harder to sell courses in bundles or bulk
- It is the most expensive and highest priced plan of the four.
- It is not possible to get a free plan. The 14-day trial is available for all three pricing plans.
- It may cost more to access more features. This is not a good option for budget-conscious people.
- Its customization options are quite limited when it comes to course editing compared to Thinkific’s and other LMS services
- Its marketing tools are also limited in the sense that it’s not complex enough
- No student certificate credential features are included in the platform
- You are unable to control your course content and your subscribers.
- Its marketplace is highly competitive
- Its transaction fees are so high they take half your earnings from your courses
The Bottom Line Thinkific Vs Than Schoology Vs Canvas
Teachable may have similar features to Thinkific, but the user interface is easier to manage. Teachable also covers aspects of course creation that Thinkific doesn’t. Thinkific Vs Than Schoology Vs Canvas
Kajabi may be packed with tons of premium tools, but it’s a choice that’s more appropriate for those who are willing to pay more for that. Podia is an alternative service that’s better for DIY entrepreneurs on a budget.
Udemy is an ideal starting point for newbies. There will be a time when your brand needs to be established. The platform, unfortunately, does not have nearly all the tools for it.
Thinkific offers a broad range of features that can be used by any business, no matter how established or new. While some factors may not be suitable for others, it is generally manageable enough to allow everyone to try.