Over the years since its meteoric rise during the late 1900s, the Internet has broken ground as a gateway to a vast world of information and content. Although access was restricted back then, the Internet has become easier to use and more integrated into our daily lives. It has revolutionized many aspects, from how we consume entertainment to how we purchase items. It has revolutionized education.
There are many different ways of learning and gaining knowledge in the new age. Online courses are one of the most popular ways to learn. Thinkific is a popular name when it comes to sharing courses with everyone. Did you know that there are other online platforms that offer similar functions? In this article, we’ll take a look at our four online course competitors and see how much each holds up to Thinkific’s standards!
For those of you who prefer a more visual experience, here is a video review from Useful Website’s YouTube channel. To get a comprehensive overview of Thinkific, you may still want to check out our article below.
What is Thinkific? A Brief Overview Thinkific Vs Over The Top
Before we go ahead and compare Thinkific with the other four, we must talk first about what the latter is, how it works, and how it can benefit aspiring edupreneurs like you. To start, Thinkific is a learning management system (LMS) that aims to provide an optimized and engaging educational environment from both sides. It has been favored among established businesses and edupreneurs, as well as the newbies. Thinkific was founded in 2010 and has been associated with many big-name companies like Samsung, Hootsuite and Intuit.
Thinkific’s main selling point is its flexibility to allow you to change everything from the way you present your courses to how you charge them. The Site Builder is one of the key features. It gives you a platform with the right amount customization tools to create a webpage for your courses. The course editor allows you to customize your curriculum according to what you are interested in, with many lesson types and templates to choose from. You also have the option to either share your courses for free or put up a membership fee for your subscribers to pay with this feature! Thinkific’s other notable features include easy integrations to the Thinkific App Store, student data management and interactions, as well as no transaction fees.
Though Thinkific offers a free plan, you can still access basic features. However, to make the most of the platform, you should try the paid plans. The Basic plan is $39/month and the Pro plan is $79, with the option to add a Growth plan. Premier allows you full access for $399.
Thinkific vs. Teachable
Teachable, a course creation platform, is very similar to Thinkific in terms both of their features and their popularity among edupreneurs. Just like the latter, the former lets you have full control of what you wish to share in your content such as pricing and student data management. It also lets you have a platform where you can create your curriculum to your heart’s content. While the LMS services are similar in appearance, Teachable has a few unique assets that set it apart from Thinkific and other course content websites.
The Key Features
Teachable’s editing interface is easier to use than Thinkific’s. Although there are some limitations, like the lack of integrations with Storyline and Captivate, Teachable offers more options than Thinkific. You can also import content from cloud-based storage platforms like Google Drive or Dropbox. The drag-and-drop functionality is more engaging than Thinkific’s.
Teachable also lets you use their stronger, more enhanced marketing and analytics tools, including the one-step checkout page feature which has proven to have better conversion rates than Thinkific’s 2-step process. The addition of a dedicated mobile app for iOS and live chat support in high-priced plans are among Teachable’s other notable features. Thinkific Vs Over The Top
Similar to Thinkific’s, Teachable’s four pricing plans include the Free plan that beginners may want to try out risk-free. It is however, more affordable than the others.
- The Basic plan costs only $29 per month.
- The Pro plan is the recommended tier and costs $99/month.
- The Business plan costs $249 per month. All features are included at a lower price than the Thinkific Premier plan which costs $399 per month.
Thinkific vs. Kajabi
Kajabi, another popular online course platform, is trusted by more than 16,000 businesses and has over 60 million students. It’s branded as an all-in-one platform with a vast range of tools to create and market your content to your target audience. One of its selling points is the ability to build an entire brand on one platform with a plethora of marketing and customization tools. But, while Thinkific offers its services at reasonable rates, Kajabi’s pricing range is twice as high, which may impede those who want to try it.
The Key Features
To find out why Kajabi is priced much higher, it’s important to talk about some of the main features that make this platform a premium choice. Unlike other LMS sites that require third-party integrations with marketing tools, including Thinkific, Kajabi has a whole marketing suite built into its system. You can send promotional emails to your subscribers using the e-mail marketing function.
Its sales funnel software is also an integral feature. You wouldn’t have to overcomplicate yourself, as Kajabi makes things easier with funnel blueprint templates optimized to rake in your target audience. Kajabi offers more than just a website and landing page editor. It also provides blogging capabilities that make it the perfect platform for creating courses.
Unlike in both Thinkific and Teachable where the option for a Free plan is available, Kajabi only has a limited trial that lasts for 14 days. However, it is available in three of its paid plans.
- The Basic plan starts at $119 per month
- The Growth plan is priced at $159/month – their most popular offer.
- The Pro plan is at $319/month, which is a bit more affordable than Thinkific’s version.
Thinkific vs. Podia
Numerous course content platforms have claimed to be creator-friendly, yet don’t have enough features or services to satisfy them to the fullest. Podia delivers on that promise and is a great place to start a business, no matter how experienced or novice. It’s an online course creation service that, like Kajabi, offers all-in-one solutions. Not only that, but it has a vast array of tools and features, most of which are incredibly user-friendly. Podia is a great option because you get all its incredible functions for a very affordable price.
The Key Features
You can sell online courses with Podia. However, you are also allowed to digitally download and offer membership content. Though Thinkific might have something similar, it is different in that the former focuses more on e-courses and the former on other topics. The platform offers unlimited uploads as well as downloads, which is a huge advantage. Podia does not have file space and bandwidth limitations like other LMS services.
As Podia aims to be creator-friendly, most of the features have to be reflective of this statement. These include easy-to-use and integrated email marketing and analytics tools as well as a simple course-making and page editing process. There is also an interactive dashboard that allows you and your students to interact freely. Students are even allowed to leave comments on your courses. Thinkific Vs Over The Top
Apart from the recently added Free plan, Podia’s pricing range is arguably the most valuable among other course-making platforms and is also perfect for small-scale DIY creators.
- The Mover plan costs $39 per month.
- The Shaker plan, its best deal, is at $89/month.
- The Earthquaker, another new addition, is priced at only $199/month.
Udemy vs. Thinkific
Udemy works differently to Thinkific and the other three competitors we have already mentioned. Udemy is different from other e-course platforms. It boasts one of the largest online course marketplaces with over 70,000 instructors and 50 million students. Udemy has been known as a great launching pad for beginners. Although it sounds great, you have virtually no control over the courses or students. Despite these obstacles, Udemy still allows budding creators like yourself to make a living selling their content.
The Key Features
Udemy’s most popular feature is its extensive marketplace platform. Because it has a low barrier to entry, students can easily access it whenever they need to find new things to learn. It also allows you to completely free-host your content! Despite its lack of customization options it makes course creation relatively simple thanks to its user-friendly interface and solid support.
Udemy allows you to create a course on any of its 100+ topics. Technology- and business-related courses are the most popular. Though limited as they could ever be, you’re given four affordably-paid tiers to choose from if you wish to charge any of your courses, ranging from $19.99 at the lowest to $34.99 at the highest.
It’s worth mentioning again that Udemy allows you to create unlimited course content for free. This is a huge advantage if you’re not into purchasing any of the paid plans that other LMS platforms have. However, once you have made a sale on the platform, be aware of the transaction fees.
The Advantages of Thinkific vs.
To bring back what we’ve talked about earlier, Thinkific is renowned for its convenient user experience and flexible customization range. Instructors using this platform may find themselves having a relatively easier time exploring most of its aspects, the most notable of which being its App Store library of third-party integrations. Additionally, you get an all-access pass to your courses and student data management, ultimately giving you full control to do as you please. What else are the advantages each of our four competitors has that stand out from Thinkific’s? Let’s find out very shortly! Thinkific Vs Over The Top
- It offers a wider range of features and a more user-friendly experience than Thinkific’s.
- It has additional, more advanced tools to offer in terms of sales, marketing, analytics, and even payment options
- It allows you to provide a one-on-1 coaching course to your student subscribers, in addition to being able to manage VAT taxes
- As an all-in-one e-course solution, it lets you build your brand with the aid of all the tools and services you may need to do so
- Its handy yet detailed marketing and analysis tools are already built into the platform
- It has optimized features such as dripping, pipeline building, and sales funnel tools designed to boost and improve subscriber turnout and conversion rates
- Aside from the limited Free plan, all the other paid tiers are packed with enough essential high-quality features, making the deal highly valuable for the instructors
- The migration from content from other course platforms to your content is easy.
- There are no additional fees or transactions to worry about. The interface is extremely easy to use.
- It lets you have free and full access to all of the platform’s features
- It has a huge audience of tens to millions of students. This makes it ideal if your content needs to reach a wider audience.
- It offers a trusted teaching center, which is a benefit for beginning instructors, and a supportive community of other teachers.
The Advantages: Thinkific vs.
While there are many things we love about Thinkific, there are also some that we don’t like. For one, it lacks customer support options – while other LMS platforms like Teachable have live chat support, Thinkific has none, though you may avail of its e-mail and phone services. Although there are more integrations than the rest, Thinkific doesn’t have a mobile app that allows for quick access to its services on the move. However, this may change in the future. What other services are missing from the four other services?
- Its compliance features for course completion are weaker and less stringent than Thinkific’s.
- It offers lesser payment pricing options than the other as well, despite edupreneurs having full control over everything else
- Selling courses in bulk or bundles is much more difficult.
- Its priced plans are the steepest and most expensive among the other four
- It is not possible to get a free plan. The 14-day trial is available for all three pricing plans.
- Speaking of steep prices, it may be more expensive to acquire access to more of its features, making it not ideal for the budget-conscious
- Its customization options are quite limited when it comes to course editing compared to Thinkific’s and other LMS services
- It’s also not well-designed in terms of marketing tools.
- No student certificate credential features are included in the platform
- You are unable to control your course content and your subscribers.
- Its market is extremely competitive
- Its transaction fees are so high they take half your earnings from your courses
The bottom line Thinkific Vs Over The Top
Although Teachable has similar features to Thinkific’s, the interface is simpler to use. In addition, Teachable covers certain aspects of course creation that Thinkific does not have. Thinkific Vs Over The Top
Kajabi is packed with premium tools but it’s an option that’s better suited for people who are willing and able to spend more. Podia, on the other hand, is a better service for solo DIY edupreneurs on a tight budget.
Udemy is a great place to start for beginners. However, there will come a time when you may need to establish your brand. The platform, unfortunately, does not have nearly all the tools for it.
Thinkific offers a broad range of features that can be used by any business, no matter how established or new. While some factors may not be suitable for others, it is generally manageable enough to allow everyone to try.