The Internet has been a portal to an endless amount of information and content since its meteoric rise in the late 1900s. While access to it was limited back then, it has become more approachable and integrated into our ways of living. It has changed many aspects of our lives, including how we consume entertainment and how we shop for products. It has revolutionized education.
There are many ways to learn and gain knowledge in this new age. One of these is through online course content. When it comes to handling courses shared by and for everyone, Thinkific may be one of the first names to pop up. Did you know that there are other online platforms that offer similar functions? In this article, we’ll take a look at our four online course competitors and see how much each holds up to Thinkific’s standards!
For those of you who prefer a more visual experience, here is a video review from Useful Website’s YouTube channel. Do check out our article below, however, because it has a comprehensive overview of Thinkific.
What is Thinkific? A Brief Overview Thinkific Vs Along With Squarespace
Before we go ahead and compare Thinkific with the other four, we must talk first about what the latter is, how it works, and how it can benefit aspiring edupreneurs like you. Thinkific, a learning management software (LMS), aims to create an engaging and optimized educational environment for both students and teachers. It is a popular choice for both established businesses and new entrepreneurs. Thinkific was founded in 2010 and has been associated with many big-name companies like Samsung, Hootsuite and Intuit.
Thinkific’s main selling point is its flexibility to allow you to change everything from the way you present your courses to how you charge them. Some of its key features include the Site Builder where you’re given a platform and the right amount of customization tools to build a dedicated webpage for your courses. Another is the course editor where you get to create your curriculum according to whatever you specialize in with a wide range of templates and lesson types to choose from. This feature allows you to share your courses free of charge or charge a fee to your subscribers. Thinkific’s other notable features include easy integrations to the Thinkific App Store, student data management and interactions, as well as no transaction fees.
Though Thinkific offers a free plan, you can still access basic features. However, to make the most of the platform, you should try the paid plans. The Basic plan is $39/month and the Pro plan is $79, with the option to add a Growth plan. Premier allows you full access for $399.
Thinkific vs. Teachingable
Teachable is a course creation platform that has a very similar footing to Thinkific in terms of the features they offer and the popularity they have among edupreneurs everywhere. Just like the latter, the former lets you have full control of what you wish to share in your content such as pricing and student data management. It also lets you have a platform where you can create your curriculum to your heart’s content. While the LMS services are similar in appearance, Teachable has a few unique assets that set it apart from Thinkific and other course content websites.
The Key Features
Teachable’s editing interface makes it easier than Thinkific’s. While there may be a few limits, such as the absence of integrations with Captivate and Storyline, Teachable has much more options to explore as you may import content through cloud-based data storage platforms such as Google Drive and Dropbox. The drag-and-drop functionality is more engaging than Thinkific’s.
Teachable also lets you use their stronger, more enhanced marketing and analytics tools, including the one-step checkout page feature which has proven to have better conversion rates than Thinkific’s 2-step process. The addition of a dedicated mobile app for iOS and live chat support in high-priced plans are among Teachable’s other notable features. Thinkific Vs Along With Squarespace
Teachable offers four pricing plans, similar to Thinkific’s. The Free plan is for beginners and allows them to test it risk-free. However, what makes it different from the other is the generally lower price range.
- The Basic plan costs only $29 per month.
- The Pro plan, its recommended tier, costs $99/month.
- The Business plan costs $249 per month. You get all of the features at a much lower price compared to Thinkific’s $399/month Premier plan.
Thinkific vs. Kajabi
Kajabi, another popular online course platform, is trusted by more than 16,000 businesses and has over 60 million students. It is a platform that offers all-in-one tools and a wide range of marketing tools to help you market your content to your target audience. Its main selling point is its ability to create a brand from one platform, with numerous marketing and customization tools. Although Thinkific’s services are reasonably priced, Kajabi’s prices can be prohibitive for those who wish to take it up.
The Key Features
It’s important that we discuss the key features that make Kajabi a premium platform. Kajabi offers a complete marketing suite, unlike other LMS sites, such as Thinkific, that requires third-party integrations to marketing tools. Its e-mail marketing function lets you send promos to your subscribers without needing to integrate with external solutions.
The sales funnel software is an important feature. Kajabi’s funnel blueprint templates will make it easy to reach your target audience. On top of having a webpage and landing page editor that’s more powerful, Kajabi also has blogging features for you to utilize, truly making the platform the all-in-one course creation solution as advertised.
Unlike in both Thinkific and Teachable where the option for a Free plan is available, Kajabi only has a limited trial that lasts for 14 days. It is, however, offered in three of its paid plans.
- The Basic plan begins at $119 a month.
- The most popular offer is the Growth plan, which costs $159 per month.
- The Pro plan is at $319/month, which is a bit more affordable than Thinkific’s version.
Podia vs. Thinkific
Many course content platforms claim to be creator-friendly but don’t offer enough features and services to meet their needs. Podia delivers on that promise and is a great place to start a business, no matter how experienced or novice. It’s an online course creation service that, like Kajabi, offers all-in-one solutions. Not only that, but it has a vast array of tools and features, most of which are incredibly user-friendly. Podia is a great option because you get all its incredible functions for a very affordable price.
The Key Features
With Podia, not only are you allowed to sell online courses, but also digital downloads and membership content. Though Thinkific might have something similar, it is different in that the former focuses more on e-courses and the former on other topics. A huge advantage that the platform has above the rest is the ability to have unlimited uploads and downloads. Podia does not have file space and bandwidth limitations like other LMS services.
Podia strives to be creator-friendly so all features must reflect this. These include easy-to-use and integrated email marketing and analytics tools as well as a simple course-making and page editing process. There is also an interactive dashboard that allows you and your students to interact freely. Your courses allow students to comment. Thinkific Vs Along With Squarespace
Apart from the recently added Free plan, Podia’s pricing range is arguably the most valuable among other course-making platforms and is also perfect for small-scale DIY creators.
- The Mover plan is $39 per Month.
- The Shaker plan, its best deal, is at $89/month.
- Another new addition is the Earthquaker. It costs only $199 per month.
Udemy vs. Thinkific
Udemy operates differently from how Thinkific – and essentially the three previous competitors we’ve already mentioned – usually works. Udemy is different from other e-course platforms. It boasts one of the largest online course marketplaces with over 70,000 instructors and 50 million students. Udemy has been known as a great launching pad for beginners. Although it sounds great, you have virtually no control over the courses or students. Despite the hurdles, Udemy still allows burgeoning creators like you to get paid and make a living from selling your content!
The Key Features
One of Udemy’s greatest hits has to be its widespread marketplace platform. It’s easily accessed not just by students whenever they want to find something new to learn, but also by instructors from all walks of life due to its low-barrier entry. Another of its key selling points is the ability to host your content completely free! Despite the severe lack of customization options, course creation has been made relatively easy thanks to its manageable interface and solid support system.
Udemy allows you to create a course on any of its 100+ topics. Technology- and business-related courses are the most popular. Although the tiers are not as extensive as you might like, there are four tiers that you can choose from to charge your courses. They range from $19.99 to $34.99 to the highest.
Udemy offers unlimited course creation for free. If you don’t want to pay for any paid plans on other LMS platforms, this is a great advantage. However, once you have made a sale on the platform, be aware of the transaction fees.
The Advantages of Thinkific vs.
Thinkific’s user-friendly interface and wide customization options are what we talked about previously. Instructors using this platform may find themselves having a relatively easier time exploring most of its aspects, the most notable of which being its App Store library of third-party integrations. You also get all access to your courses and student data management. This gives you complete control over what you do. What are other advantages that each of our competitors offers over Thinkific’s? Let’s find out very shortly! Thinkific Vs Along With Squarespace
- It has a more user-friendly experience and range of features compared to Thinkific’s
- It has additional, more advanced tools to offer in terms of sales, marketing, analytics, and even payment options
- Aside from being able to handle VAT taxes, it allows you to offer a one-on-one coaching course to your student subscribers
- As an all-in-one e-course solution, it lets you build your brand with the aid of all the tools and services you may need to do so
- Its handy yet detailed marketing and analysis tools are already built into the platform
- It has optimized features such as dripping, pipeline building, and sales funnel tools designed to boost and improve subscriber turnout and conversion rates
- Aside from the limited Free plan, all the other paid tiers are packed with enough essential high-quality features, making the deal highly valuable for the instructors
- The migration from content from other course platforms to your content is easy.
- There are no additional fees or transactions to worry about. The interface is extremely easy to use.
- It lets you have free and full access to all of the platform’s features
- It boasts a large audience of tens of millions of students, making it perfect if you wish for your content to have a wider reach
- It has a reliable teaching center that’s a bonus for beginner instructors, as well as a supportive community of fellow teachers
The Advantages: Thinkific vs.
While there are many things we love about Thinkific, there are also some that we don’t like. For one, it lacks customer support options – while other LMS platforms like Teachable have live chat support, Thinkific has none, though you may avail of its e-mail and phone services. The list of built-in integrations with e-commerce, marketing, and analysis platforms is much less compared to the rest, while you won’t find a Thinkific mobile app for convenient access on the go (that, however, might change soon). What other services are missing from the four other services?
- Its compliance features for course completion are weaker and less stringent than Thinkific’s.
- It has lower payment options than the other, even though edupreneurs have full control over all aspects of the business
- Selling courses in bulk or bundles is much more difficult.
- It is the most expensive and highest priced plan of the four.
- There is no appearance of a free plan available either – only the 14-day free trial is offered for each of its three pricing plans
- Speaking of steep prices, it may be more expensive to acquire access to more of its features, making it not ideal for the budget-conscious
- The customization options for course editing are much more limited than Thinkific’s LMS service.
- Its marketing tools are also limited in the sense that it’s not complex enough
- No student certificate credential features are included in the platform
- You have nearly nonexistent control over your course content, and you won’t have full access to managing your subscriber students either
- Its marketplace is highly competitive
- They take half of your earnings from courses because they charge high transaction fees
The bottom line Thinkific Vs Along With Squarespace
Although Teachable has similar features to Thinkific’s, the interface is simpler to use. In addition, Teachable covers certain aspects of course creation that Thinkific does not have. Thinkific Vs Along With Squarespace
Kajabi may be packed with tons of premium tools, but it’s a choice that’s more appropriate for those who are willing to pay more for that. Podia is an alternative service that’s better for DIY entrepreneurs on a budget.
Udemy is an ideal starting point for newbies. However, there will come a time when you may need to establish your brand. The platform, unfortunately, does not have nearly all the tools for it.
Thinkific offers a broad range of features that can be used by any business, no matter how established or new. While some factors may not be suitable for others, it is generally manageable enough to allow everyone to try.